Well, it depends on your goal but I’ll walk you through some popular podcasting formats.
Full disclosure: I’m giving you a short list inspired by the article “6 Popular Podcast Formats: Which One is Right for You?” This is a great piece written by designer and YouTuber Charli Marie.
- Interviews: probably the most popular format. One person interviews another. Good for learning, networking, and building authority through association.
- Conversational: typically a chat between two or more hosts.
- Solo-casts: A single host discussing a topic important to the creator.
- Non-fiction Storytelling: these podcasts tell true stories. Think Serial or 99% Invisible.
- Fiction Storytelling: think of this like podcast theater. If you’re a fan of audiobooks or TV series, you may like this style.
Overall, it’s a solid list. I will note that Charli included educational as a format, but I consider it to be more of a style. For example, this is a solo show but I’m giving you educational content.
Regardless, this short list should inspire you to start thinking about what your podcast format should be and how the format will lead you to your goal.